New Holland Masonic Lodge No. 392
The Masonic Lodge in New Holland is in its 144th year of serving the community. On June 27, 1992, the Lodge conducted formal reconsecration ceremonies to commemorate the Lodge's 125th anniversary. Most Worshipful Brother P. Dean Gerber, Grand Master of Masons in Ohio and the officers of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons conducted the ceremony, assisted by members of New Holland Lodge, No. 392.
New Holland Lodge is the second oldest Lodge in Pickaway County. Only Pickaway Lodge No. 23 in Circleville is older.
This article is a capsulated history of the New Holland Lodge.
The following members of Fayette Lodge No. 107 of Washington C. H., Ohio, petitioned the Grand Lodge of Ohio for the privilege of forming a New Holland Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons:
New Holland Lodge No. 392 was chartered on October 16, 1867. On November 5, 1867, in the Hall of New Holland Lodge, the Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge acted as proxy for Most Worshipful Master Howard Mathews and officially installed the following officers:
The installation being completed, The Master Mason Lodge was closed and a Lodge of Fellow Craft was opened. The Grand Lodge officers proceeded to pass Hamlin Smith to the degree of Fellow Craft in due and ancient form.
The first lodge hall was the upper floor of a frame building on Lot No. 19, which is on the west side of Main Street. (There is now a house on this location, just two doors to the right of where "Dogtown Stoves" is currently located.) The lodge room and the stairway thereto were purchased from George Vlerebome and Samuel S. Collier on March 21, 1870, at a cost of $700. Communications of New Holland Lodge were held in this building until May 1883.
On May 10, 1883, the lodge hall, being in need of repair, was sold to John B. Barker for the sum of $300.
A room was then leased from Jacob W. Mark. This was an upper room of what was then the Naylor Building. (The present Post Office is now on that site.) Communications were held here through December of 1889.
On January 2, 1890, New Holland Lodge met in the new hall in the Ferguson block, which is located on East Front Street. This served as the meeting place until June 22, 1898.
On November 2, 1898, the lot on which the present building stands was purchased from Henrietta Hearn at a cost of $1,500. The time that construction was begun was not recorded.
The dedication service for the new Masonic Temple was held June, 29, 1899, at 2:00 p.m. Brother Allen Andrews of Hamilton was in charge if the exercises. At 7:00 p.m. on this date, a lodge of Master Masons was opened, and George Kirkpatrick and Harry D. Colwell were both raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason.
On June 29, 1999 to commemorate 100 years in this location, New Holland Lodge No. 392 raised James B. White to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason.
There isn't any direct information concerning the cost of construction of the Temple. An estimate of $6,000 was made, but rumor had it that the actual cost was closer to $8,000.
Before 1952, the stated meetings were held the Thursday on or before the full moon. After this date, stated meetings were held on the second Thursday of each month, unless Lodge is recessed, as it may be in July and August.
New Holland Lodge has been the home of several District Deputy Grand Masters during its 144 years.
The Lodge has a current membership of 146 members. During its 144 years, the Lodge has had 99 dedicated men serve as the Master of the Lodge. The Worshipful Master of New Holland Lodge for this year is James Cheadle.
You are enjoying Unforgettable by Brother Nat King Cole