"The first Masonic lodge in this vicinity was a dispensation granted by the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the State of Illinois in 1847 to Cambridge Lodge at Cambridge, Illinois. A charter was granted October 4, 1847 to Cambridge Lodge No. 49, meetings to be held at Cambridge and Rock Island alternately. On January 26, 1848 in compliance with the unanimous request of Cambridge Lodge, a dispensation was granted to meet regularly at Rock Island. The distance between Cambridge and Rock Island, being thirty miles, and by team, it was quite arduous and tiresome."
"Steps were taken May 18, 1848 to form a new lodge at Rock Island for Rock Island County. When the name was considered, there was a diversity of opinion. Among the names proposed were Mississippi, Rock Island, Barrett, Buford, Illinois and Larely; none commanding a majority. Doctor James W. Brackett proposed the name of Trio in honor of Rock Island, Moline and Camden Mills (now Milan) and the name of Trio was adopted. June 1, 1848 a dispensation was granted to Trio Lodge, Rock Island, Illinois and on October 3, 1848 was chartered as Trio Lodge No. 57. Trio Lodge at its organization had seventeen members."
"May 3, 1855 Fort Armstrong Lodge No. 186 was organized by members from Trio Lodge, but on March 12, 1863 surrendered its charter and consolidated with Trio Lodge. In June and July, 1870 twenty brethren withdrew from Trio Lodge to organize Rock Island Lodge No. 658."
Source: Historic Rock Island County
published by Kramer & Company,
Rock Island, Illinois, 1908
|*On June 20, 2007, Rock Island Lodge No. 658 merged with Trio Lodge No. 57