Welcome to the Fernandina Beach Shrine Club
We are pleased to have you visit our Website. Feel free to browse our site and visit the different pages. Our club is proud of our accomplishments, this is the third year we recieved the " Spirit of Shrinedom Diamond Award"
Every Shrine Club has it's history, and like all other's, Fernandina Beach Shrine Club has a history to share.
The Fernandina Beach Shrine Club was originally organized in 1944 as the "Fritz Hobein Shrine Club" at the Beach Pavilion, Atlantic Avenue, Fernandina Beach, Florida. Louis Goldstein was the first president and there were 15 Charter Members. The Club had grown to 112 members by 1978. In August, 1945, the Club was put under the jurisdiction of the Morocco Temple as the fourth one in their jurisdiction.
A Look at Fernandina Beach The Fritz Hobein Shrine Club held it's first annual Barbecue and Show on May 6, 1955 at the Baseball Park from 6 - 8 PM. At this time there were 37 members. Music was played by the Fernandina Beach Band under the direction of band director, Jonathan Hill. A concert was presented later in the evening. A special program of music was given by Tracy Russell at the piano. Professor R. C. Newman, Prestidigitator, entertained with his astounding feats of magic.
Until 1960 the barbecue was held at the City playground and then it was moved to the Recreation Center. In 1964 it was held in the Elementary School cafeteria, which later became Fernandina Beach Jr. High School. As the barbecue grew each year, the time changed from 2 hours to 8 hours. An all day affair, with food being served from 11am to 7 PM. The price of a meal started at $1.00 in 1955 and gradually increased to $6.00 in the 1980's. To this day the barbecue still continues to be an annual event for the Fernandina Beach Shriners, with all proceeds going to support the Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children.
Fritz Hobein Shrine Club became the Fernandina Beach Shrine Club in 1958. They were in search of a name for a parade unit and in 1964, under the leadership of Kermit E. McQueen, the " Rough Riders " were started. The name was selected to honor "Teddy Roosevelt and his famous Rough Riders."
The members of Fernandina Beach Shrine Club rode Motorscooters until 1966 when they changed to Yamaha Motorcycles and later changed to little cars. In 1986 the members purchased 12 three wheeler motorcycles which they used until 1990 when the Dune Buggy's appeared. The parade Unit to this day use Dune Buggy's and a "A" model for all shrine parades.
A Fernandina Beach Shrine Parade is presented annually on Centre Street and is accompanied by the Morocco Shrine Center and surrounding Shrine Units. Immediately after the parade the Annual Barbecue begins at the Middle School.
Fernandina Beach Shrine Club members are dedicated to the support of the Shrine Hospitals. Every Noble has an impact on the lives of thousands of children who need the specialized care of the Shriners Hospital for Children.
" No Man Shall Stand So Tall As When He Stoops To Help A Child."