Dr. William Henry Perkins was born in Lewiston, Frederick County, Maryland, on November 18, 1841, and was the son of John & Elizabeth (Geisy) Perkins.  He was married to Mary J. (Beard), daughter of Louis and Jane (Kidwell) Beard.  He was married on March 19, 1874.


After attending private and public schools, and passing through high school, he taught for some time.  On August 14, 1862 he enlisted as a Private in the Baltimore Battery Light Artillery, Baltimore Maryland.  He was appointed to the rank of Corporal on the day of his enlistment and was discharged as a Sergeant.


He attended the University of Maryland, and later graduated from the Long Island College Hospital in New York.  He began his medical practice in Hancock shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War, and for many years, he was a physician to the B & O Railroad and was especially successful as a surgeon, performing many difficult operations which were rendered necessary as a result of a railroad accident.


He was one of the most active Republicans in Western Maryland and at the time of his death was chairman of the State Central Committee for Washington County.  He would serve one term in the Maryland Legislature and later was unanimously nominated for Comptroller of the Treasury, but declined to run.  He was also Superintendent of the Census of 1880 for the Third District of Maryland.  He was a member of the Board of Health, and President of the Pension Examining Board at Hancock.  He would also serve as a member of the Medical Society of Washington County.  Dr. Perkins was an extremely active member of the Hancock United Methodist Church.


Dr. Perkins was prominent not only professionally, but as a citizen taking an active interest in the affairs of the town of Hancock.  The construction of the Hancock Bridge and the enlistment of the Hancock Bank owed much to his effort.


According to his obituary, Dr. Perkins died on September 10, 1896.  Pallbearers for his service were John W. Burgess & William Noel (Hancock), S. Osborne & J. B. Clary (Cumberland), and Andrew Zepp & Allen M. Mendenhall (Berkeley Springs); all of which where Masons.


The interesting statement found in the obituary is that he served as Worshipful Master of James S. Bowers Lodge #37.

Return to Past Masters