Home Page
About Sunset Lodge
Our Lodge Officers
Upcoming Events
Our Past Masters
Our Member's Emails
Longevity Awards
KY Lodges Online
THE HISTORY OF DUVALL LODGE

Why The Name "Duvall"?

 

Brother William Pope DuVal was born at Mount Comfort, Virginia in 1784 (near present day Richmond).  He came to Bardstown, Kentucky at the age of 14 and studied law. And was the first Junior Warden of Bardstown #38 (He never served as Master of the Lodge however). DuVal became a Kentucky Congressman and appointed a territorial Judge of Florida in 1822. He served one month and then President James Monroe appointed him Governor of the Florida territory. He was later reappointed to the same position by Presidents Adams and Jackson.

He sent his sons, Burr Harrison DuVal and John Crittenden DuVal, back to Bardstown to be educated at St. Joseph College. (John C. DuVal was born in 1816 while his father, William P. was Junior Warden of #38). While in Bardstown the Texas Revolution (aka The Texas War of Independence) broke out.  Burr H. DuVal formed a Company, called the Kentucky Mustangs. They went to Texas and fought under the command of Colonel James Walker Fannin. John C. DuVal was also a part of this company.

The Kentucky Mustangs were surrounded and eventually surrendered outside of Goliad, Texas after being promised that they would be held as prisoners, or paroled upon their honor to not continue to fight.

On order of Santa Anna, General José de Urrea turned command over to a subordinate, the prisoners were marched out and shot on March 27, 1836. Only seven escaped the massacre, John C. DuVal being one of them.  Dr. William H. Magee, also of Bardstown, was spared for his skills as a doctor, and three were spared by intercession.

John C. DuVal returned to Kentucky after the war, he later studied engineering at the University of Virginia. He returned to Texas as a surveyor, served as a Texas Ranger. He was a noted writer of both fiction and non-fiction, and is credited by some as the first Texas “man of letters”.

It is my contention that Duvall Lodge #6 F&AM was named in honor and memory of the DuVal family who served their country, and fought and died for the freedom of Texas. 

If anyone has direct information otherwise, we’ll entertain hearing from you, if not, then “That’s our story, and we’re sticking to it!”

Bro. Bill Riggs - 11/28/2006

HISTORICAL EVENTS OF DUVALL LODGE

February 10, 1801 Washington Lodge # 6 Chartered
October 6-7, 1807 Washington Lodge # 6 stricken from Grand Lodge rolls
June 27, 1816 Bardstown # 38 granted dispensation / Chartered granted Nov. 1816
1819 Bardstown # 38 made loan to members of Bloomfield to start Bloomfield # 57
1831 Bardstown # 38 stricken from Grand Lodge rolls
August 30, 1836 Duval Lodge # 99 Chartered
1849 thru 1857 Worked with Major Barbour # 181 and Kane Lodge U.D.
February 26, 1870 Rented room over Stonehouse on Third Street occupied by Squire Heady as grocery, belonging to James Coy Esq. For $ 125.00 per year
October 17, 1874 Petitioned Grand Lodge to change number from #99 to original #6
Approx. 1888 Laid cornerstone for Bardstown Baptist Church
Approx. 1892 Laid cornerstone for Nelson Co. Courthouse
April 1894 Laid cornerstone for Christian Church Building
June 13, 1913 Purchased Electric Letter “G” (it is still used today)
February 1921 Celebrated 120 anniversary of Charter of Washington #6
April 7, 1925 Wrote letter to Secretary of State, Ben Johnson for assistance to put up Monument on grave of John Fitch, a Master Mason
1948 Bought present property and contracted with Bro. Hahn to build a Lodge Hall for $ 77,000.00
March 6, 1951 First meeting in present Lodge Hall
February 9, 2002 Celebrated 200 years of “Masonry in Action” in Bardstown
September 18, 2005 Laid cornerstone for the Bardstown United Methodist Church Open Air Chapel