of the E.T. Carson Lodge #598 F&AM
From Humble Beginnings, We're Proud and Honored to be the Largest Lodge
in the State of Ohio
(From the 75th Anniversary program)
In the summer of 1906 Walter Laile, Fred Roehr, Harry Walker and Harry
Whyrich met with Edwin Aughinbaugh, at his home to discuss the
formation of a new Masonic Lodge. From this beginning over 75 years ago
has grown one of the most active lodges and the largest lodge in the
state of Ohio.
As plans became reality and interest grew, temporary quarters were
secured in the United Brethren Tabernacle at Rohs and McMillan Streets
opposite Hughes High School. The original group of five soon became one
hundred and thirty-four enthusiastic Masons representing thirty-one
lodges — twenty in Hamilton County, three other Ohio lodges eight
lodges in other jurisdictions. More than half of this group came from
five lodges — Hoffner, Vattier, Miami, Yeatman and Hanselman. The
largest representation nineteen — being from Hoffner Lodge.
Brother William Dock, of Lafayette Lodge, who was to become the first
Tyler, suggested the name that was finally selected for the new lodge.
On February 26, 1907, Most Worshipful Brother Horace A. Irwin, Grand
Master, issued a dispensation appointing Worshipful Brother Albert J.
Hauser, and Past Master of McMakin Lodge No. 120, Worshipful Master,
August Nuernberger, Senior Warden and Edwin D. Aughinbaugh, Junior
Warden. With this formal approval no time was lost in holding the
first, on March 1, 1907 at the Hall of Walnut Hills Lodge No. 486, then
meeting over the Dows Drug Store at Peebles Corner, Gilbert Avenue and
McMillan Street, appointing the first officers and receiving twenty
petitions. An auspicious beginning for the embryonic lodge.
On April 10, 1907 the first group of six candidates was initiated. The
first class of three Master Masons was raised on June 20th, by special
dispensation at the Hall of Avon Lodge No. 542, with the officers of
Henry Barnes Lodge No. 607, Dayton, Kentucky and Hoffner Lodge N0.253
assisting Carson Officers in the work. Nine days later, on Saturday,
June 29th, the Lodge had its first Inspection — also at Avon Lodge — by
the District Lecturer, Right Worshipful Brother Joseph W. Kahler.
On October 17, 1907, during the Grand Lodge session at Canton, Enoch T.
Carson Lodge, U. D., was chartered No. 598 and the following week the
Grand Master granted a special to hold the stated meeting on Friday,
November 1st at Avon Lodge for the purpose of being Constituted and
electing and installing officers.
At that meeting Worshipful Brother L. C. Goodale, as proxy of the Most
Worshipful Grand Master, assisted by Past Grand Master William B.
Melish and Grand Secretary J. H. Brownell, conducted the ceremony of
Constitution according to the ancient usages and customs. At the
election that followed August Nuernberger was elected Worshipful
Master; Edwin D. Aughinbaugh, Senior Warden; Rev. Ernst Voss, Junior
Warden; Oscar W. Mueller, Treasurer; Harry Whyrich, Secretary; J. W.
Morgan, Senior Deacon; Robert L. Stokes, Jr., Junior Deacon and William
Dock, Tyler. These officers were installed by Most Worshipful Brother
Melish after the Past Masters Degree had been conferred on Brother
Nuernberger by Grand Secretary Bromwell.
One of the first matters to take the attention of the newly chartered
lodge was the purchase of a site for a temple, but interest soon waned
and action was deferred because of the unfavorable financial condition
of the country that developed during 1908. However, the following year
the project was revived and on May 7, 1909 Frank Helmers was named
Chairman of a committee to raise funds and from that time steady
progress was made toward acquiring our own temple. Fund raising
activities included theater benefits at the old Olympic Theater, Zoo
outings, and the ever popular river excursions. Finally, on February,
2, 1917 the purchase of the present site on Ludlow Avenue was
The year 1917 also saw the organization of the wives of the members
into the Carson Ladies Auxiliary and with typical feminine industry and
ingenuity their energies were also directed to the raising of funds for
the temple. One of their projects was a series of lawn fetes at the
On Saturday, April 12, 1924 at 3:00 p. m. a simple ground breaking
ceremony was held that reflected little of the time and effort that had
been expended to make it possible. The Worshipful Master, Robert J.
Carroll, III, turned the first spadeful of earth after the Chaplin,
Worshipful Brother Alvin E. Schmidt had invoked the blessing of God.
Short addresses followed by Albert J. Hauser, Chairman of the Temple
Building Committee, and Frank Helmers. Four months later, on Saturday,
August 16, 1924, the corner stone was laid.
A lodge of Master Masons was opened at 2:00 p. m. at Avon Lodge Hall,
where our lodge was then meeting, and at once proceeded in a body to
Hanselman Masonic Temple where the Grand Lodge of Ohio was in session
and from there to the site on Ludlow Avenue. The High Noon Lodge Band
and the Hanselman Commandery Band furnished the music for the
procession which was composed of members from all the Blue Lodges and
Commanderies in the City.
Upon arrival at the site, Worshipful Master, Robert J. Carroll, III,
presented the Trowel to Worshipful Brother Harry Englehardt, Senior
Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge of Ohio, representing the Most
Worshipful Grand Master C. M. Voorhees, who in his most gracious way
conducted the ceremonies as prescribed by the Code. At the completion
of the ceremonies, Worshipful Brother Albert J. Hauser, spoke of the
hopes and aspirations of all the brethren of our lodge in the ownership
of a temple. In the words of Worshipful Brother Englehardt, the program
was carefully planned and successfully carried out and reflected great
credit upon the officers of the lodge.
A year later the temple was completed and on Saturday, September 12
1925 at 8:00 p. m. was dedicated by the Most Worshipful Grand Master,
James B. Ruhl, assisted by all the officers of the Grand Lodge with the
exception of the Grand Chaplin who was represented by one of our past
masters, the Reverend Ernst Voss. Music with Brother Louis J.
Windgassen at the organ and Herbert Nagel as soloist lent its own
inimitable charm to the success of the dedication.
An important contribution to the furnishing of the temple was made by
the Carson Ladies Auxiliary in completely equipping the kitchen and
supplying all the necessary silverware. Assistance such as this is
still given by our loyal ladies and we have the good fortune to meet
and work in a pleasant home-like atmosphere largely because of their
With the occupation of the new temple Carson continued to grow and
prosper until the "Thirties" when with the depression came the
inevitable decline in membership and the resulting financial
difficulties. If one individual is to be singled out as the savior of
the temple during this period August Nuernberger must be mentioned. He
was tireless in his efforts to raise funds and at the same time was
responsible for arranging reductions in the interest charges on the
Dorcas Chapter came forward with substantial cash contributions as did
the ever faithful Carson Ladies Auxiliary. This period of adversity
produced a close knit, cooperative group of dedicated men from which
emerged a new leadership and an increased scope of activity.
In 1941, the first of many out-of-state trips was made by the lodge to
Richmond (Indiana) Lodge No. 196 to raise a candidate in the Ohio
Ritual. This trip was made to honor Worshipful Brother George W. Piehl,
a Past Master of Richmond Lodge and an affiliated member of Carson
Lodge. Since that time the Carson Degree Team has become well known in
Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and other Ohio Districts.
Also in 1941 the first of the Annual Carson Corkscrew shows was
produced by the Carson Club — the social organization of the lodge that
had been organized in 1916.
An outgrowth of these musical productions was the Carson Glee Club
organized in 1946 under the direction of Carl Esslinger who was
followed by George Mueller and he in turn by John Bolten, the present
Through the years, Carson Lodge has always been active in promoting
various youth groups. In 1947, for example, the lodge sponsored its
first knothole baseball team and this program escalated to a point in
which hundreds of young men were participating each summer in Knothole
baseball under the Carson Name.
In 1962, the Carson Chapter Order of DeMolay was instituted and many of
these young men have since joined the lodge in Masonry. And our Rainbow
Girl's Assembly came to us in 1978.
In the meantime, we have sponsored Pee Wee football, basketball and
softball teams including those teams sports for your women activities.
And, our membership has contributed freely during the years to sponsor
these teams and also also give our DeMolay's gainful employment in and
around the temple during the summer months.
Carson's wealth is in the spirit and wholehearted cooperation of all
the members whose time, energies and special skills are freely given to
the many projects and activities that have had an important part in
bringing our lodge to the position it now holds and have made it a
potent force for good in the community.
Fortified with this same spirit and zeal we hope to carry on with the
same sense of social responsibility that motivated our founders 75
years ago. When we of today have become names on the pages of
tomorrow's history may we be held in such esteem as we now hold them
and may it be said of us, as we now say of them, "Well done, thou good
and faithful servant."
of the Lodge - 1907
Albert J. Hauser
Past Master McMakin No. 120
Hanselman No. 208 Senior Warden
Edwin D. Aughinbaugh
Henry Barnes No. 607, Dayton,
Kentucky Junior Warden
Oscar W. Mueller
Kilwinning No. 356 Treasurer
Miami No. 46 Secretary
Rev. Ernst Voss
Avon No. 542 Senior Deacon
John W. Morgan
Goodale No. 372, Columbus, Ohio
J. T. Singleton
Hoffner No. 253 Steward
Vattier No. 386 Steward
Lafayette No. 81 Tyler