Richmond Lodge History
as transcribed from the original Minutes
4 February 1898
An emergent Grand Lodge of the State of Georgia was opened at this place in the Academy building this night for the purpose of instituting Richmond Lodge No. 412 F&A.M. The Grand Master Pro-tem examined the Charter and approved the same and consecrated the Lodge in due and ancient form. For the purpose of perfecting the record of the Charter, the G.M. Pro Tem installed the following officers: M.J. Nevice W.M., F. Bowe S.W., and F.A Calhoun as J.W.
The By-Laws as approved by the Grand Lodge were adopted. Bro C.H. Jackson on behalf of himself and the resident members of Richmond Lodge thanked the visiting Brethren for their presence and their assistant. Worhshipful Master ordered it spread upon the minutes
26 February 1898
Edict of Grand Master read Severing all Masonic relations with Grand Lodge of Peru and all subordinate Lodges and members, on account of the removal of said (Grand Lodge and its' subordinate Lodge) of the great Light of Masonary, the Holy Bible.
On motion of Bro Jones and second of Bro Jackson that a committee of three be appointed to draft resolution of thanks to Webb and Social Lodges, to Augusta Chapter, to Bro Lewis Schall, and Bro William F. Bowe for the valuable gifts so generously donated to this Lodge.
11 March 1898
Received of Mr. R.E. Cobb work of fitting of Lodge room, (making of Officer platforms, pedestals, Alter and other work) as part payment of his contract to do $25 worth of work to pay for fee of three degrees.
8 April 1898
Secretary was ordered to reply to appeals of the Craftsmen and to Rockwell Lodge that we being young and weak financially could not aide them in their call for help.
22 April 1898
Immediately after opening of Lodge, the W.M. called Lodge from Labor to Refreshment and forming into line of march, Lodge filed into Chapel, where the Augusta Chapter #2 present Jewels to Richmond Lodge in Meeting to which the public had been invited.
13 May 1898
Move that we celebrate St. John Baptist Day, W.M. appoint Bro Jackson, Miller, and Smith to make all arrangements.
10 June 1898
Committee reported that they had decided to celebrate St. John the Baptist Day by have sermon preached by Bro J.H. Oliver.
24 June 1898
Charts for the three degrees and winding stair floor cloth, which had been sent by Bro William Schwigert were accepted and billed for same amounting to $11.75 was ordered paid after it had been audited by finance committee.
During hours of refreshments, procession of the craft was formed and Lodge in body marched to Baptist church where celebration of St. John the Baptist day was observed by sermon preached by Bro J.H. Oliver. After exercises in Church, Lodge marched back to Academy Building where supper was served.
More to be posted.. check back later