Cedar Lodge #124

Belle Fourche, South Dakota

                                    "Behold, how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!"

History of Cedar Lodge #124

The original planning stages of Cedar Lodge took place in the late summer and fall of 1894. Twelve Master Masons living in and around Belle Fourche met regularly in the Odd Fellows Hall over the Smiley-Gay Hardware store (now the vacant Cliff Thomas Drug Store).

In July 1895, the members petitioned Grand Lodge for dispensation and officers were elected. Sixteen Master Masons stated work that summer, six were from Spearfish Lodge, two from Central City, and one from Sturgis, the rest being from jurisdictions outside the state.

D.R. Evans served as the first Worshipful Master and L.S. Wyand was the Secretary.

In April of 1896, a formal application for a Charter was adopted and the Charter was granted and signed by Grand Lodge on June 10, 1896. The same officers were duly elected to serve as those acting under dispensation.

The first name proposed for the Lodge was "Acacia Lodge" which was later amended to "Cedar Lodge."

After sharing space with the Odd Fellows, the lodge moved to rooms over the former Butte County Bank, now the Norwest Bank. In 1919, plans were formulated for a new building to be located at its present site. Pledges were secured on September 5, 1919. The actual corner stone of our present building was not put into place until May 14, 1927. The building was dedicated on August 30, 1927.

In 100 years of Masonic labors, 675 members hae signed the Record Book and have been received and recorded as Master Masons.

From its original conception and 16 members, Cedar Lodge has enjoyed its highest membership level in 1965 of 293 members. We currently have 135 members of which 99 are residents of South Dakota and 36 live in other jurisdictions.

Cedar Lodge has been honored by having had two o its Brethren selected by the Grand Lodge to serve the Craft as Grand Masters Namely brother L.M. Simons, who served as Grand Master in 1926-27 and S.G. Mortimer, who served as Grand Master in 1936-37.