Scholarship Application

Frequently Asked Questions

The California Masonic Foundation realizes the application procedure can be time consuming and stressful. For the convenience of scholarship seekers, their parents and school counselors, we have created a list of frequently asked questions.

These are listed in the order of their appearance in the application instructions. Most often, the questions from people who call our office are already answered in the instructions. However, if this FAQ page and the instructions do not provide the information you are seeking, please feel free to e-mail your query to and we will respond as quickly as possible.

FYI: The application deadline is MARCH 15. 
While we do encourage early submission, not providing all the supporting documents in one application packet may disqualify you!

This office does not accept loose documents.

I am a legal resident of California, but my father is in the military and we're stationed over seas. Am I still eligible?

Yes, provided your parents can furnish proof of legal and permanent residence in California for the past 12 months.

I have applied for citizenship and have been interviewed, but I haven't received the actual certificate yet. Should I provide the expected date of certification?

No. Citizenship applicants are not considered citizens during the application process. You will not be a U.S. citizen until you receive the certificate.

The instructions say not to leave any thing blank but I don't have any paid work experience and only one parent. What should I write in those spaces?

The proper response is: n/a. This means "not applicable".

What should I write my essay about?

As stated in the application instructions, the personal essay is used by the Scholarship selection committee to learn more about you and your background...what experiences and accomplishments have shaped you and what view you bring to society because of them.

My school won't give certified transcripts to students, they will only mail it to you, but the checklist says I have to include it in the application packet. Can the transcript be sent by the school separate from the rest of the packet?

No. But if the school will only mail certified transcripts, request it be mailed to your parents house then submit it with your packet. THIS OFFICE DOES NOT ACCEPT LOOSE DOCUMENTS.

My school doesn't include SAT scores on transcripts. Can I send a copy of my College Board report instead?


Please note: Make sure sealed transcripts will include your grades for the first semester of your senior year and your weighted, cumulative (9th-12th grades) GPA. Check with your counselor and the Registrar. You may be disqualified if this required information is not included.

What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?

The information you provide on your FAFSA is verified and assessed by the U.S. Department of Education who then calculates your financial need (including the total cost of your education) by determining your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and your eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant . This report is then forwarded to all the schools you applied to (and requested FAFSA to report to) for their review and determination of other financial aid (federal, state and private) you may be eligible to receive.

What if I haven't received my SAR yet?

If you filed your FAFSA in January as recommended, you will more than likely receive the SAR before the March 15 deadline. The staff at FAFSA say the turn around time is 4 to 6 weeks, but it is usually quicker. If you haven't received the SAR by March 14, include a copy of your FAFSA with a note estimating when you expect the SAR to be returned to you. We will make an exception to the "NO LOOSE DOCUMENTS" rule in this matter only and allow late submission of SARs. The deadline to submit a late or corrected SAR is April 5, 2000.

What should I do if FAFSA has sent an SAR but I had to make corrections and send it back to them and I don't receive the corrected SAR until after the deadline?

If you had to make corrections and return the SAR to FAFSA, and you still have not received it by March 14, include copies of your FAFSA and SAR with the corrections in your application pack (by the March 15 deadline) and then forward the final SAR by April 5, 2000. We will make an exception to the "NO LOOSE DOCUMENTS" rule in this matter only and allow late submission of SARs.

My parents aren't filing their taxes until April. can I send a copy of their 1040 from 1998 instead?

No. The CMF Scholarship Committee requires copies of your parents or guardians 1999 IRS form 1040 and 1999 W-2's. Submitting copies of their 1998 filing may disqualify you. However, your parents may file an extension (IRS form 4868) and you may submit a copy of the completed and filed extension form with copies of the 1999 W-2's and an estimate of their 1999 income.

What if my parents are not required to file a federal tax return?

This situation is addressed on page 3 of the instructions under:
Parent(s) Financial Information, #2 Total untaxed household income. 
and requires the student to submit a list, on a separate sheet of paper, of all untaxed income and benefits. Everyone has some source of income, be it employment, government assistance, alimony, child support, or investments. The list must be itemized and include the source and annual dollar amount